Best Yoga Poses/Asanas for Weight Loss from Arms, Tummy & Legs
When it comes to weight loss, many women tend to favour crash diets. However, starving yourself to lose weight is neither practical nor durable. It’s strictly prohibited by renowned doctors and dieticians. Instead, consuming healthy food coupled with moderate exercise will give you more effective results in lesser time. One of the best activities one can do to lose weight is to practice yoga. Yoga is not just a physical exercise; rather it trains the mind and drives you spiritually towards your goal. This practice has survived ever since the pre-Vedic era due to its benefits and effectiveness. So to inspire you and motivate you towards a healthier body we have compiled a list of 10 effective and easy yoga poses to lose weight at home.
Best Yoga Poses & Asanas to Lose Weight Quickly
1) Virabhadrasana – The Warrior Pose
This yoga asana strengthens the arms, shoulders, back and thighs in one go. It’s really effective to tone up the muscles and increase stamina. The pose is very popular for losing weight and calming the mind.
- Stand straight with your legs wide atleast 3-4 feet apart.
- Turn the right foot out by 90 degree and left foot in by 15 degree.
- Lift both arms to shoulder with palms facing upwards.
- Breathing out, bend the right knee.
- Turn the head and shoulders to your right.
- Make a gentle effort to push your pelvis down.
- Breathing in , come up
- Breathing , bring down hands to the sides.
- Repeat the posture for the left side.
2) Utkatasana – Chair Pose
This effective yoga posture for losing weight tones all the muscles of the legs, spine and chest. It takes care of the lower back as well and can be a powerful exercise to strengthen the body.
- Stand with your feet slightly apart.
- Stretch your hands straight with your palms facing downwards.
- Bend the knees and push the pelvis down as if you’re sitting in an imaginary chair.
- Sit straight lengthening your spine, keeping your hands parallel to the ground.
- Take deep breaths.
- Bend a bit more but ensure that your knees don’t go beyond your toes.
- Keep bending down and sit down in cross legged posture.
Also Read: Best Yoga Asanas to Reduce Belly Fat
3) Nauka Chalan – Boat Pose
The boat pose has been named after the shape of a boat which it takes. This is the best yoga asana for losing weight from the abdomen, legs and arms.
- Lie down with your feet together and arms on your side.
- Take a deep breath and exhale. While you exhale lift your chest and feet off the ground, stretching your arms towards the feet.
- Keep breathing while maintaining the pose.
- As you exhale return to your original position.
4) Ardha Chandrasana- Half Moon Pose
The pose is done to improve focus and strengthens the hip and knee muscles. It helps in stability due to the way both the legs are stretched during this asana. It’s a basic stretching exercise, which helps the lower back, abdomen and chest.
- Stand with both feet touching the ground, from the heel to the big toe. Keep the back straight and arms pressed slightly against the sides.
- Bring the hands together and raise the arms straight up keeping the palms lightly pressed
- Arch your body backwards keeping the arms alongside the head and tilt the head backward and hold. Keep the knees straight while maintaining the posture.
- Slowly return to original position.
5) Vrksasana- The Tree Pose
The tree pose imitates the graceful steadiness of a tree. It increases the body balances and brings equilibrium to the mind. This yoga pose also makes the legs strong and is very effective for losing weight.
- Stand tall with arms on the side
- Bend the right knee and place the right on the left thigh.
- Make sure that the left leg is straight. Balance is important.
- Once you’re balanced, take deep breath and raise your arms over your head and bring the palms together.
- Look straight at a distant object. Keep the gaze steady.
- Make sure that your spine is straight. Keeping taking long deep breaths. Ease any tension in the body and keep smiling gently.
- While exhaling, gently bring down the arms first and then release the legs.
- Return to the original position. Repeat the pose with the left leg now.
Also Read: Best Yoga Poses for Clear & Glowing Skin
6) Ardha Matsyendrasana- The Half Spinal Twist
Also known as the half fish king pose, it increases the elasticity of the spine and oxygen supply the lungs. This is one of the best yoga poses for weight loss.
- Sit with legs stretched out, keeping the feet together. Keep the spine erect.
- Bend the left leg and put the heel of the left leg besides the right hip.
- Take the right leg over the left knee. Place the left hand on the right knee and the right hand behind the back.
- Twist the waist, shoulders and neck in this sequence to the right and look over the right shoulder.
- Keep the spine erect. Keep taking gentle breaths.
- Breathing out, release the hand behind your back first. Release the waist, then chest lastly the neck and sit relaxed.
- Repeat with the other side.
7) Chakrasan- The Wheel Pose
The final pose in this asana looks like a wheel, hence the name. It gives flexibility to the spine and this position is also known as the back bridge pose.
- For this position, lie down, bend the knees and place the feet close to the buttocks.
- Lift the arms and put them beneath the shoulders,
- While inhaling lift the buttocks, hips and back off the ground. Exhale.
- While inhaling lift the shoulders up by pushing the palms into the ground.
- Keep lifting the buttocks, hips and back until the arms and legs are straight.
- Breathe normally.
8) Dhanurasan- The Bow Pose
This asana is effective at losing weight from the arms and legs. It also strengthens the muscles of the back and abdomen. The yoga asana adds great flexibility and is a wonderful exercise for women with menstrual discomfort.
- Lie on the stomach with the feet hip-width apart and arms by the side of your body.
- Fold the knees and hold your feet by the ankle.
- Breathing in, lift the chest off the ground, pull the legs and back up
- Keep the pose stable while paying attention to the shape of your body.
- After 15-20 seconds, as you exhale, gently bring your legs and chest to the ground.
Also Read: Effective Yoga Asanas for Faster Hair Growth
9) Chakki Chalanasana- The Grinding Pose
This yoga posture imitates the movement of a chakki, commonly used in the Indian villages. It turns out to be a fun and excellent workout for the body. The yoga position tones the back, stomach and arm muscles. It opens up the chest and groin and also helps in reducing the abdominal fat.
- Sit with your legs apart. Clasp your hands and outstretch the arms at shoulder height in front.
- Take a deep breath and start moving the upper body to the front and right forming an imaginary circle with the body.
- Inhale as you go forward and exhale as you go back and to the left.
- Make 10-15 rounds in one direction and then repeat in the opposite direction.
10) Ardhakati Chakrasana: Half Waist Rotation Pose
It’s a pose in which the body takes a shape of a wheel when bent from the waist. This asana is very effective at toning one’s body and reducing the flab from the stomach.
- Stand straight with the feet slightly apart
- Spread your arms out straight from the shoulders. Turn to your left and put your right hand on your left shoulder and your left hand behind your back.
- Twist your body from your back
- Repeat the same, twisting your body from the other side.
These were the best yoga poses for weight loss at home which are effective for not only reducing the inches but also toning the body.
Contributed by Mohebat