What is a Bikini Wax + How to Bikini Wax at Home
Waxing one’s body hair is anyway a painful experience and imagine getting waxed down there and ripping the pubic hair from its roots – well, it can be a pretty tough deal. However, bikini wax is a very common procedure for personal grooming even though the thought of it can make some of us run away. So if you have been wondering what exactly is a bikini wax or want to give it a try, you’ve come to the right place. A bikini wax can also be done at home so here is your 101 guide on bikini waxing with its pros and cons.
What is a Bikini Wax + Difference between a Bikini Wax & a Brazilian Wax
A bikini wax is the removal of the pubic hair or unwanted hair on the bikini line. This is done by applying a hot wax on the region and peeling off the hair with a cotton strip. Besides bikini waxing, brazilian waxing is also quite popular. The difference between them is that in a Brazilian Wax, complete pubic hair removal is done from the pelvic region, vulva, labia, perineum, and anus ie. front to back.
FAQS on Bikini Wax + How long does a Bikini last?
1. Will I be butt naked during a bikini wax?
No. you don’t need to strip completely for a bikini wax. It can also be done with an underwear on and is completely up to your comfort level with the person who is going to wax you down there. Most beauticians are well trained and will make you feel at ease. Just keep in mind that your beautician has seen it all and there is nothing to be ashamed about. If you still feel uncomfortable with the idea of someone waxing your bikini line then you can also try shaving yourself or the Philips Bikini Genie which we girls at HBM swear by.
2. Does it hurt like a ******?
Nobody said waxing is painless, especially the first time. Well, to be completely truthful –
yes it is going to hurt but for the most part it is tolerable depending on your pain threshold. You can apply some soothing gel or cream to calm the skin and reduce the redness. Applying aloe Vera gel is the best home remedy for irritated skin.
3. When should one get a bikini wax?
Avoid getting a bikini wax just before or after your menstruation cycle. Generally, the bikini area is sensitive during this time and it is going to hurt a lot more. Also, strictly avoid getting it done during your period. Coming to the hair, the length has to be 1/4 inch long. If the hair is shorter than that, it is a bit difficult to seamlessly remove the hair which can irritate the sensitive area.
4. Post bikini waxing after care
The skin becomes more sensitive and red after waxing thus use an unscented cream to avoid irritation. Wear comfortable and loose clothes and avoid tight clothing which can accelerate the irritation. Preferably, do not go for a workout immediately after getting waxed.
5. How long does a bikini wax last?
The results can last upto 3-6 weeks depending on your hair growth. It gives the most long lasting results compared to shaving or trimming.
How to Bikini Wax at Home: Step & Step Guide
If you haven’t waxed yourself before then the procedure might be a bit difficult to understand. Nevertheless, if you are uncomfortable getting a bikini wax at a salon, then read on for the bikini wax at home guide.
1) Exfoliate the skin well. This is done to scrub away dead skin and to help with ingrown hair.
2) Heat up the wax and sit on the floor or flat surface while doing this. Keep your knees slightly bent and your legs turned outward. The place can get messy so take precautions. Make sure the area is completely clean and devoid of any chemicals.
3)Test the temperature of the wax on your forearm before applying it to your bikini area. If it’s too hot, let it cool for a few seconds
4) Now, apply the wax in the direction of the hair growth while holding the skin taut.
5) Firmly press down the waxing strip and make sure it sticks onto the wax well
6) Holding the skin taut, grab an end of the wax strip, and pull it against the direction of hair growth.
7) Repeat wherever required.
8) Clean up the area with a post-wax cleanser and apply a soothing gel, cream or lotion.
Bikini Wax Tips
1) Take any pre-treatment dose of painkiller to help minimize the pain if it’s too unbearable for you
2) If you are waxing for the first time, practice on your leg or forearm before.
3) Do not wax any area which is sun burnt or already irritated.
4) Don’t use just about any cream or lotion down there. Use which is advisable for sensitive nether regions only.