Top 10 Best Yoga Asanas for Flat Stomach & Belly After Pregnancy
Stomach or belly fat is the most stubborn and toughest area to reduce. If you’ve tried every exercise be it ab crunches, aerobics, cycling etc and nothing has worked then it’s time you give yoga a try. Yoga is the getaway for a healthy mind, body and soul. Besides helping you achieve a healthy body, yoga also curbs irrational food habits, calms the mind and tones the body. Yoga postures are very effective at reducing belly or stomach fat especially after pregnancy. Today we list the top 10 yoga asanas for flat stomach which you can simply practice in the leisure of your home and get good results. All the asanas/postures mentioned are for beginners hence can be performed easily.
10 Best Yoga Asanas For Reducing Belly Fat Fast After Pregnancy
1. Bridge Pose or Setubandhasana
Bridge Pose is one of the easiest asanas which strengthens the back muscles and improves digestion. It also lowers the blood pressure and relaxes the mind. The bridge pose stretches the abdomen muscles and helps you lose the stubborn belly fat. Avoid doing this pose if you are suffering from neck or back injuries.
- First, lie on the back.
- Fold the knees and keep the feet hip distance apart on the floor, 10-12 inches from the pelvis, with knees and ankles in a straight line.
- Keep the arms besides the body with the palms facing down.
- Inhale and slowly lift the lower back, middle back and upper back off the floor; gently roll in the shoulders; touch the chest to the chin, supporting the weight with the shoulders, arms and feet. Feel the bottom firm up in this pose. Both the thighs are parallel to each other and to the floor.
- If you wish, you could interweave the fingers and push the hands on the floor to lift the torso a little more up, or you could support the back with the palms.
- Hold the posture for a minute or two and exhale as you gently release the pose.
2. Plank pose or Kumbhakasana: Top Yoga Asanas For Toned Abs
This is another easy yoga asana to reduce stomach fat. It tones the abdomen muscles, including the chest, lower back as well as the arms, wrists, and shoulders. It is also beneficial for increasing the stamina and keeping the nervous system healthy. Avoid doing this pose if you are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome or osteoporosis.
- Place your elbows directly under your shoulders and your wrists in line with your elbows.
- Push your body up into your upper back and hold your chin close to your neck (like you’re holding an egg between your chin and your throat).
- In this position, brace your abdominal muscles—contract them like expecting a punch in your stomach, squeeze your gluteal (tailbone) and thigh muscles simultaneously while continuing to breathe normally.
- Hold a plank at least 20 to 30 seconds. (When using correct form, it is not necessary to hold it for longer than this amount of time.) Rest for approximately one minute and repeat three to five more times.
- Start doing the plank using your elbows and toes and progress up to a higher plank when you feel you have developed the necessary strength.
3. Seated Forward Bend or Paschimottanasana: Yoga asanas to reduce stomach fat
The Seated Forward Bend calms down the brain and helps to relieve stress and mild depression. When you bend forward, it helps to stretch out the tummy muscles and thus helps to tone done the belly. This yoga posture also helps in improving digestion and thus the food gets properly absorbed, preventing the accumulation of unnecessary fat. Avoid doing this pose if you are suffering from spinal disc disorders or had an abdominal surgery.
- Sit on the floor in Sukahasana or Padmasana.
- Keep your spine erect, and stretch your legs out to your front. Your feet should point to the ceiling.
- Inhaling deeply, stretch your hands above your head without bending your elbows. Your gaze should follow your hands. Stretch your spine to the maximum.
- Exhale and bend forward from your thighs. Bring your hands down and try to touch your toes. Your head should rest on your knees. Beginners can try touching their ankles or just thighs as a start.
- Once you touch your toes, hold them and try pulling them backward till you experience the stretch on your hamstrings.
- Breathing in, hold your tummy and try to retain the position for 60 to 90 seconds initially. Slowly, increase the time of holding the position for five minutes, or if possible, more.
- Exhaling, bring your body upward, relieving your toes from your fingers to come back to the Sukhasana or Padmasana pose.
- Repeat the asana 10 times to begin with, working up to 25 times or more.
Also Read: Best Exercises To Tone Thighs
4. Cobra pose or Bhujang Asana
This yoga posture helps to reduce the stiffness of the lower back and simultaneously stretches the belly muscles when you bend backwards. It also tones the organs that lie in the lower abdomen. Additionally, it also tightens the buttocks and releases stress. Avoid doing this pose if you are suffering back injuries, hernia or had abdominal surgery.
- Lie flat on your stomach. Place your hands on the side and ensure that your toes touch each other.
- Then, move your hands to the front, making sure they are at the shoulder level, and place your palms on the floor.
- Now, placing your body’s weight on your palms, inhale and raise your head and trunk. Note that your arms should be bent at your elbows at this stage.
- You need to arch your neck backward in an attempt to replicate the cobra with the raised hood. But make sure your shoulder blades are firm, and your shoulders are away from your ears.
- Press your hips, thighs, and feet to the floor.
- Hold the asana for about 15 to 30 seconds while breathing normally. Feel your stomach pressed against the floor. With practice, you should be able to hold the asana for up to two minutes.
- To release the pose, slowly bring your hands back to the sides. Rest your head on the ground by bringing your forehead in contact with the floor. Place your hands under your head. Then, slowly rest your head on one side and breathe.
5. Bow pose (Dhanurasana): Best Yoga Asanas To Reduce Tummy After Pregnancy
Bow pose has been named after the shape it forms – that of a bow. This is one of the best yoga asanas to tone the abdomen and thighs as it helps in stretching the muscles and prevents frequent cramps. It has various health benefits like weight loss, strengthening the lower back, treating asthma, making your entire spine flexible etc. It also helps to shed the excess fat from the abdomen, giving toned abs with regular practice. Avoid doing this pose if you are pregnant or suffer from heart problems or high blood pressure.
- Lie on your stomach with your feet hip-width apart and your arms by the side of your body.
- Fold your knees and hold your ankles.
- Breathing in, lift your chest off the ground and pull your legs up and back.
- Look straight ahead with a smile on your face. Curve your lips to match the curve of your body!
- Keep the pose stable while paying attention to your breath. Your body is now firm as a bow.
- After 15 -20 seconds, as you exhale, gently bring your legs and chest to the ground. Release the ankles and relax.
Top 10 Yoga Asanas For Flat Tummy or Stomach & Weight Loss
6. Boat pose (Naukasana)
Boat pose is one of the few yoga poses for reducing belly fat quickly. While doing this pose, it facilitates the proper stretching of muscles and the act of compressing and relaxation of the naval area. Thus it is a great way to reduce fat around the waist. Further, the asana is good for strengthening the kidney. Avoid doing this pose if you are suffering back injuries, hernia, or asthma.
- Lie down on the supine position (back).
- Your feet should be together and stretched and your arms should be besides your legs.
- Inhale and raise your entire body at 30 degree so that you can see your toes
- Keep your palms on the thighs.
- Remain in this pose for as long as you can maintain it. Initially, it may be 20 seconds but increase it up to 2 minutes with practice.
- While maintaining the pose, feel the stretch on your navel area.
- Bring your body down with deep exhale and relax.
- Inhale –exhale slowly while maintaining the pose.
7. Veerbhadrasana 1
Virabhadrasana I is an asana honoring the exploits of a mythical warrior. According to mythology, Virabhadra is a character created by Lord Shiva and this pose derives its name from there. Firstly, it gives maximum flexibility to the muscles from head to toes. The abdominal area is stretched and with time, tones the muscles, removing excess fat from the area. Avoid doing this pose if you are suffering from neck problems or shoulder pain.
- Stand straight with your legs by keeping a distance 3-4 feet between each leg.
- Inhale and raise both hands parallel to ground and turn your head to the right.
- While exhaling slowly turn your right foot at 90 degrees to the right.
- Slowly bend your right knee. Keep in mind that the right thigh should be parallel to the the ground. Stay in this position for some time. Breathe deeply for 4 times.
- After this come to your original standing position and breathe normally. Perform the same steps for the left leg by turning your head towards the left.
- Repeat this cycle for 4-5 times.
Also Read: Lemon Detox Diet: Benefits & Side Effects
8. Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation): Best Yoga Posture To Reduce Weight & Stomach Fat
Surya Namaskara is one of the most powerful postures in Yoga, which is a set of 12 exercises. It is extremely effective for toning up the muscles and makes one look fit. The constant stretching and breathing helps the abdomen muscles to relax and contract, thereby reducing the excess fat from there. It is a great way to keep the body in shape and the mind calm and healthy.
- Stand at the edge of your mat, keep your feet together and balance your weight equally on both the feet. Expand your chest and relax your shoulders. As you breathe in, lift both arms up from the sides and as you exhale, bring your palms together in front of the chest in prayer position.
- Breathing in, lift the arms up and back, keeping the biceps close to the ears. In this pose, the effort is to stretch the whole body up from the heels to the tips of the fingers.
- Breathing out, bend forward from the waist, keeping the spine erect. As you exhale completely, bring the hands down to the floor, beside the feet.
- Breathing in, push your right leg back, as far back as possible. Bring the right knee to the floor and look up.
- As you breathe in, take the left leg back and bring the whole body in a straight line.
- Gently bring your knees down to the floor and exhale. Take the hips back slightly, slide forward, rest your chest and chin on the floor. Raise your posterior a little bit.
- Slide forward and raise the chest up into the Cobra posture. You may keep your elbows bent in this pose, the shoulders away from the ears. Look up.
- Breathing out, lift the hips and the tail bone up, chest downwards in an inverted V posture. Breathing in, bring the right foot forward in between the two hands, left knee down to the floor, press the hips down and look up.
- Breathing in, bring the right foot forward in between the two hands, left knee down to the floor, press the hips down and look up.
- Breathing out, bring the left foot forward. Keep the palms on the floor. You may bend the knees, if necessary.
- Breathing in, roll the spine up, hands go up and bend backwards a little bit, pushing the hips slightly outward.
- As you exhale, first straighten the body, then bring the arms down. Relax in this position, observe the sensations in your body.
9. Ushtrasana (Camel Pose)
Camel Pose is a great way to cure back problems and it also relaxes the mind, blood circulation, respiratory system, endocrine and nervous system. When you bend towards your back, the belly muscles get stretched and this contraction helps in bringing flexibility to the chest, abdomen and neck. If you increase the duration with regular practice, you will see a great change in the belly fat within a month. Avoid doing this pose if you are suffering from high or low blood pressure and migraine.
- Sit on the floor stretching your legs and keeping your spine erect. Keep your palms on the side by the buttocks.
- Bend your leg by the keens and sit on your heels placing the buttocks between the heels, the right big toe overlapping the left.
- Kneel on floor keeping your knees in line with the shoulders and sole of the feet facing the ceiling.
- Keep your hand on thighs.
- Inhale and arch your back. Place your palms on the heels of the feet.
- Keep your arms straight.
- Do not strain your neck, keep it neutral.
- Stay in this final position for couple of breaths or for as much longer as you can.
- Breathe out and slowly come to the normal position withdrawing your hands from the feet.
10. Wind Relieving Pose (Pavanamukthasana): Yoga Asanas to lose belly fat quickly
Wind Relieving Pose is a great way to relieve constipation. It also helps in toning the abs, thighs and hips. This posture improves the metabolism and promotes stomach health. Thus, the food gets digested better and the toxins are released which further helps in losing the stubborn fat from abdomen. Additionally, it also enhances blood circulation in the hip joints and eases tension in the lower back.
- Lie flat on your back with your legs stretched out and your arms at your sides.
- Your feet should be stretched out with your heels touching each other.
- Exhale and bend at the knees while gradually bringing them toward the chest.
- Apply pressure to the abdomen using your thighs.
- Clasp your hands underneath your thighs to hold your knees in place.
- Breathe deeply while holding this pose for 60-90 seconds.
- Exhale while releasing your knees and bringing your hands to the sides of your body.
- Repeat this pose 5 times with at least 15 seconds of rest time in between each pose.
So these were the most effective yoga asanas for reducing belly or stomach fat. Do practice them regularly and notice the difference yourself.