Master Cleanse aka Lemon Detox Diet Plan Recipe, Weight Loss, Benefits & Side Effects
The Lemon Detox Diet also popularly known as the Master Cleanse Diet has powerful detoxification effects and leads to considerable weight loss. This detox diet plan was originally formulated by Stanley Burroughs and helps to flush out the toxins from the body. It also increases the metabolism considerably. Lemons are rich in antioxidants and are a potent source of Ascorbic acid, that is, Vitamin C. Antioxidants help to fight the free radical damage, speed up the process of repair and regeneration in the body and have anti ageing benefits. Biggest of all, lemons are great at aiding weight loss and hence is the main star of this 7 to 10 days detox diet plan.
Lemon Detox Diet Plan Weight Loss, Benefits & Review
The lemon detox diet gained a huge popularity after the pop singer, Beyonce revealed her weight-loss secrets at the Oprah Winfrey show. She told the audience that she lost nearly 9 kilos within a span of 2 weeks by following the lemon detox diet which required her to survive only on lemonade, cayenne pepper and maple syrup.The chief reason that the lemon detox diet actually works is because, it helps to cut down your total calorie intake tremendously leading to rapid weight loss. This lemon juice cleanse is great for someone who wants to shed the kilos faster in a short span of time for an upcoming function or wedding.
Lemon Detox Diet Recipe & Plan
Spring or purified water
Grade B maple syrup
Freshly squeezed lemon juice
Cayenne pepper sea salt
Instructions for following the Lemon Detox Diet Plan
1. Lemon cleanse diet is a tough diet to follow and should be started after proper planning only. It is not to be taken up when you have a lot of work stress or hectic projects to handle.
2. To prepare the lemon cleanse juice, take nearly 2 liters of water. Mix 12 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. To this water, add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or more depending on your taste buds) and around 12 tablespoons of pure maple syrup. This water is to be sipped throughout the day or whenever you feel hungry.
3. If you are following the detox diet, you need to drink a mixture that is called as the salt-water flush preferably during the evenings. It is made by mixing 1 tablespoon of sea salt in 1 litre of water. This mixture is a little tough to drink because of the weird salty taste but it enhances the efficiency of the lemonade diet and gives better results. It helps stimulate the bowel movement and flushes out the toxins from our body. Salt Water Flush can also be used when one is feeling constipated, bloated or wants to do a colon cleansing.
4. When following the lemon, maple & cayenne pepper detox diet one needs to have this cleansing juice for a minimum of 2 days and can continue the diet till 10 days. It is a very popular 7 day detox diet however it can be very tough to follow hence most people continue it for only 2-3 days.
5. One can have herbal or laxative teas while following the diet. However, do not add any sweeteners to it.
Also Read: GM Diet Plan: Vegetarian Diet Chart, Review & Tips
Precautions before starting the Master Cleanse/Lemon Detox Diet
Do take a medical opinion before starting this diet as a doctor or dietician is the best person to guide you about taking up this diet as per your current medical status. After due approval, you can follow this diet for 3 to 10 days
Can solid food be taken while following the lemon detox diet?
While you are on the lemon or maple syrup detox diet, no solid food or fruit can be consumed. However, to ease the body into the diet, you can choose a combination of the below mentioned foods to make your body accustomed to the change on the first day of the diet. You can also start this diet plan 2 to 3 days prior to the lemonade detox. The same food chart needs to be followed for three days after the diet and you can slowly go back to grains and other food items from the fourth day.
Towards the beginning and at the end of your lemon diet, the following foods can be consumed:
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable salads (preferably raw)
Fresh Orange juice
Unrefined sea salt
Any types of refined sugar, carbs, caffeine and processed foods are not to be consumed while following this diet. Also, it is very important to stop alcohol and smoking during the diet otherwise the purpose of a detox gets defeated. We suggest leaning off coffee and tea a few days prior to it so as to avoid feeling the withdrawal symptoms. You can start having grains like brown rice and oats from the fourth day of ending the detox also popularly known as the cayenne pepper detox diet.
Master Cleanse or Lemon Detox Diet Benefits & Weight Loss
1. Lemonade Detox Diet might be challenging but it has some great benefits. It helps clear out the digestive system as one is only drinking lemon cleanse juice for a few days. It detoxifies the body and cayenne pepper flushes out the extra fat. It cleanses the gastrointestinal system and eliminates hardened substances in the joints and muscles thereby relieving pressure.
2. The detox diet plan helps in increasing the metabolism and provides more energy. Even though you caloric intake is reduced, one feels more happy and lighter as the digestive system is not bogged down by heavy calories or processed foods.
3. While this is a very famous detox diet for weight loss, it is just a secondary effect. The main focus of the diet is to detoxify the body and its organs. However, one can expect to lose a minimum of 2-3 kgs while following this diet. It helps to reduce excess fat deposits and balance the various body functions.
4. As lemon is high in Vitamic C, the diet improves the immunity system. It purifies the blood stream and makes the skin more radiant and glowing.
Side Effects of Lemon Detox Diet
1. This diet has many detractors as it has its proponents. Many nutritionists believe that the diet plan starves the body of the necessary nutrients. Health experts also claim that such a rapid weight loss can affect the lean muscles of the body
2. Since the diet eliminates toxins from the body, one may experience a general feeling of weakness, light headedness and nausea.
3. As with all detox and weight loss diets, one needs to make a lifestyle change for permanent results. You can easily gain back the weight lost if you start eating unhealthy food or do not include proper exercise.
Lemon Detox Diet or Master Cleanse is one of the most popular weight loss diet plans. It is always best to consult your physician before starting it as it can greatly affect the body in case of any medical conditions. The detox can be a great option for those looking to lose weight quickly in a short span of time however the focus should always be on eating healthy and doing a regular workout for more permanent and healthy results.
Contributed by Apsara
Image Source: 2